I didn’t see all of the Superbowl, commercials or halftime show, but from what I saw I’d say, “Eh, okay then. Moving on.” Here’s an expansion on that conclusion.
In this day and age where the Superbowl has become a tradition of epic TV viewing while overindulging in salty snacks and alcoholic beverages, the American audience has come to expect a lot from the spectacle including the commercials whose times is bid out for obscene amounts of money and the halftime show which costs gobs and gobs of money for big name performers and pyrotechnics. Although I didn’t see every minute of every commercial break or the halftime show for that matter, I’m gonna have to say it fell a bit flat for me. And based on a quick scroll through Twitter and Facebook, a fair amount of others agree.
Was the Kia/Adriana/Crue commercial sweet? Yeah. Did the M&M/LMFAO spot make me chuckle? Sure. And Bud Light always has one for the water cooler. At least they added a good social message. As for the halftime show, I only caught part of it. And what I did see was pretty average. Also, did anyone else think the choir outfits kinda made them look like penguins swaying back and forth? Yeah.
So my thought is this: With all the innovation in media, electronics and how we all interact as consumers, fans, peers, etc., do we expect too much? Have we set the bar so high as to be unattainable? Madonna is a legend, even if she’s lip-synching. Should that be enough? And have companies spent so much to buy the time that their commercial’s production budgets are cut short? I just don’t know. But I sure wasn’t that impressed.
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
- Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
- Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
- Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
- Visit all.things.fadra to add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
- Link up your post to that days SOC Sunday post.
- Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.